Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Of Girlfriends and Cobras

As you know either through me or through this blog, I have a girlfriend. This is a good thing. I am a big fan of having a girlfriend and suggest this for many of my other buddies, just as they had suggested it for me. Now as being in a new relationship (3 months Dec 20) we are just starting to learn about each other; what makes us tick, pet peeves, likes/dislikes and the list can go on. Of the many many things that I finding out about her, I am finding that we do have some major differences. Not that these are bad, I don't want just a replica of myself, but since they are there we are trying to have fun in figuring out what to do with these differences.
One notable one that came up was about me planning a small trip to Uganda to visit a missionary family. Now, I have not been to Uganda but from the blog pics and stories it sounds like something right up my alley. I was on the phone with my lovely girl and was talking about my trip. She was so supportive in wanting me to go and fulfill the plan i have laid ahead of me. I was telling her of the different places i wanted to see, people i would meet and then i mentioned a small story about a cobra skin that found on the grounds where the missionaries live. To me this was awesome! Cobras in Africa! How cool! I mean, i want a cobra story, nothing involving death or permanent injury, but something that makes you go......wow! that was cool. Well, being new to a relationship i had yet to learn a new and important lesson, don't tell the girlfriend things cool dangerous things that you want to do in Africa. I started to explain to Kelly that I would love to and a "Cobra Story". I have stories about guns, weird foods, dangerous spiders and bugs, being lost (way too many of those stories) and well, a cobra story would be a nice one to add onto the list.
Then something caught me off guard...a small word...only 2 letters..."no". Huh? I thought to myself, what is this word? And who is saying it to me.......? Yes it was Kelly saying the word "no" repeatedly. Apparently she was not thrilled with the idea that i wanted a cobra story, and really didn't want me to have a cobra story. She said, "I don't want a dead boyfriend". At this point and time a few things hit me, 1) Kelly really cares for me and doesn't want me to die 2) Why doesn't she want me to have a cobra story!??!?!?
I have always been careful when i traveled, really, i don't like to have any trouble on the road, where ever i travel. And i never try to do anything too stupid, but there is this side of me...the "guy" side of me that thinks things like cobras are cool! I don't really want a cobra "major injury that leads to me losing an appendage" story. Rather a cobra "wow that was really cool and i lived without a trip to the hospital" story.

We will see what happens.

Allan

1 comment:

Janice Speaks said...

I just found your Blog and well....as long as its' a 'cobra skin story' I think that would be fine. Eating termites and grasshoppers is OK also since the grandchildren have gone before and tried it already. Love you! Merry Christmas.
janice